Practically Shooting

Precision Shooting Magazine- R.I.P.

BarryinIN

Their website says October 2012 was the last issue. They had the November issue at the printer when the bank account ran dry.

That's it, after 56 years.

http://www.precisionshooting.com/

I liked Precision Shooting. I subscribed for only one year because it was rather expensive, but I'd buy several issues each year from a guy at the gun shows who sold benchrest/long range rifle gear. It was our running joke that those magazines were the only reason to go to the show.

I bet most shooters never heard of PS. I think it had a reputation as being a benchrest magazine, but that's not quite fair. They had lots of articles on things like old lever actions, Garands, hunting of all kinds, quite a bit of Highpower info, Black Powder Cartridge Rifle, and some police sniper stuff. The writers were top notch. There were articles by the designers of the Savage 110 and other guns.

I guess it couldn't compete with "Ultimate .45 Manstopper" covers and caliber debates.

There were two decent gun magazines left, IMO. Precision Shooting, and SWAT. Rifle and Handloader were on my list, but they have declined a lot.

I've met SWAT's owner/publisher, and he puts the magazine out for fun. He doesn't need the money.

PS did. And they weren't getting it.

It sucks to be in an economic recovery.

HELLO Barry, PSM was a top mag. and i agree that handloader and rifleshooter magazines both are NOT what they were. I grew up with OUTDOORLIFE MAGAZINE, a kid living in the woods without electricity or running water in QUEBEC. It was my "OUT" to the rest of the world.ELMER KEITH would turn over in his grave if he saw where that mag has gone.nothing but advertisements. Such is life.Think i will go reload. TT / aka GLENN

It's tough all over for the publishing business, but I guess the ones that do OK are the splashy mags and the mags that practically give you the subs for free (not a great profit model). I get a bunch of the gun rags already because they are so darn cheap. Precision Shooting Magazine will be missed.