Practically Shooting

Gen 3 Magpul P-Mags Are Out

BarryinIN

They've been coming for a while, but they became available Nov 1 and some places have them.

I like P-Mags anyway, and if these are better- cool. I know one of the instructors at Magpul and he's as big as a bull and tears up everything he touches (his nickname is "Yeti"). He did a lot of the testing and if he couldn't tear them up, they should be OK for humans.

From what I've seen, the price is the same as always.

What's different? From the description:

Modified internal and external geometry also permits operation with a wide range of non Colt-spec platforms such as the HK® 416 and MR556A1, M27 IAR, British SA-80, FN® SCAR™ MK 16/16S, and others. A redesigned bolt catch notch in the rear of the magazine provides increased bolt catch clearance, while an over-travel stop on the spine helps ensure the magazine will not over-insert on compatible weapons.

Similar to the MOE PMAG, the GEN M3 features a long-life stainless steel spring, four-way anti-tilt follower and constant-curve internal geometry for reliable feeding, and simple tool-less disassembly to ease cleaning. In addition, an included pop-off Impact/Dust Cover can optionally be used to minimize debris intrusion and protect against potential damage during storage and transit. Low profile ribs and new aggressive front and rear texture gives positive control of the GEN M3 in all environments, and a paint pen dot matrix has been added to the bottom panel of the body to allow easy marking by the end user for identification. The new, easy to disassemble flared floorplate aids extraction and handling of the magazine while providing improved drop protection, but is slightly slimmer than before for better compatibility with tight double and triple magazine pouches.

Made in U.S.A.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not. I haven't even seen any around that I remember. They looked a little big on the bottom half, which had me wondering if two would fit some double mag pouches.

That's my biggest gripe about the Magpuls- the base is so wide they sometimes don't fit well doubled. But the new ones have a trimmer baseplate area and should fix that.

I had doubts about the lips on Magpuls but have had no trouble. But the longest I leave any loaded (no dust cover) is maybe a year.

Btw, Remington bought Tapco a few days ago. Fwiw. I know, Remington doesn't own theirselves, but they announced it that way.

• 4 weeks later...