Practically Shooting

1962 RUGER 44 CARBINE

TOFINOtom

Greetings, anyone else shoot an early 44 carbine? purchased this one for $300 bucks. had 4 NORMA 240 grain soft points fired thru it. i got the rest of the box plus 2 other full boxes .the old fellow loved the look of the carbine ,but did not like its recoil. i mounted weaver bases on it and an old 4X springfield scope. its an awsome little set up that looks like its straight from the 60s. tube feed,but not marked DEERSTALKER thanks to ITHACA. lots of wolves and cougars around here. light and easy to carry on my walks. can't carry a pistol up here. CANADA EH!!

Welcome

Greetings, anyone else shoot an early 44 carbine? purchased this one for $300 bucks.

I used to have one. I bought it about twenty years ago and kept it for eight or ten. It was a pretty neat little rifle. I found mine shot bullets of around 200 grains best, although 240s did plenty goo enough for it's intended purpose. It was always weird shooting it because the action felt like it was cycling slow.

If that Norma ammo I what I'm thinking it is, it's worth something by itself. They had a .44 Mag JSP load for a while that used a jacket made of mild steel. Writers such as Elmer Keith praised it for it's penetrating qualities, and some people hated that Norma dropped it. I'd see if a magnet sticks. It might take finding the right person, but someone might be willing to pay a little for it and offset your purchase cost...if you didn't want it of course. I'd hang onto it.

I think you got super deal by the way. I think I gave that for the one I had around 1992. Their value stayed at around $300-350 here for quite a while but have gone up in recent years.

Yes its the mild steel jacketed ammo. two new boxes and the remainder of the third. did some checking on the ruger site. you are correct. its HOT, collecters want it and NORMA do not load it any more. i load 240 grain JHP for my carbine. works flawlessly with 24.5 grs. of H-110. SHOOTING those reloads in my super blackhawk revolver have a BITE but those 240 gr. norma factory soft points really TAKE IT UP A LEVEL OR TWO. I'll just hold on to them . would make a good black bear round. TOFINO TOM/GLENN

• 2 months later...

NOTE ON MY LAST POST. 240GR. NORMA steel jacketed flatnose soft points kill moose,. at least at 63yards. 800lb. spike. hunting partner next to me with .300 ultramag. was not needed. 1 thru lungs 1 in neck. stumbled 40-50 yards and was down dead. I was looking for mule deer but SWAMP DONKEY presented himself. trick shot? mabe, but it speaks volumes for shot placement.TT