Practically Shooting

US-Made Steyr AUG A3

BarryinIN

It’s been nearly three years since I’ve given an AUG update.  

Nothing new to report.  The pace of use has slowed down quite a bit.  I’ve gotten sloppy with my round count notebook, but in pretty sure it’s at almost 12,000.

I used it last weekend in a carbine class, tromping around in the snow.  No malfunctions, bobbles, or errors.  I had one magazine change that looked like a was missing all my fingers, but that wasn’t the rifle’s fault.  

• 1 year later...

Ten years now with the AUG.  

I still like it.   It stays ready in the house, and it goes with me on most trips, riding in an Eberlestock backpack. 
https://eberlestock.com/collections/packs/products/cherry-bomb-pack

Its been carried in and out of hotels and relative’s homes in that pack without notice, or at least without comment. 

I’ve used it in numerous classes and some matches.  I’ve shot mostly handloaded ammunition, with bullets ranging from 40 to 77 grains.  Most have been 55 FMJBT, as one would expect.  Favorite bullets include the Nosler 64 grain bonded SP (Which I think is now discontinued), Sierra 65 Game King BTSP, and the Sierra 69 MK.

The only changes or modifications have been a sight, a light, and a sling.  I’m still using the Trijicon 1-4X Accupoint scope in Larue mount, a Magpul sling mounting loop, VTAC sling, and a Surefire light in an offset mount.  I have a buis sight for a SCAR I’m going to mount, in order to have the same sights as my SCAR.  

That’s it.  No trigger mods like I keep reading about.  I simply don’t see the need on this rifle.

Compared to an AR-15?
Accuracy is not quite as good as a good AR, but it’s close and I’ve definitely seen worse shooting ARs.  More importantly, it weighs more than an equivalent barreled AR.

On the plus side, I like the bullpup configuration for a number of reasons.  One of those is that although heavier than it probably needs to be, it puts the weight closer to my body so it feels easier to hold at the ready than an AR or other conventional rifle in similar or even less weight.  Reliability is excellent.  I love the magazines.

I wish a .22 conversion was made, or even better- a lightweight .22 model like the various .22 ARs.  I also wish the Steyr 9mm conversion was readily available, but the government has chosen to protect us from imported gun barrels.  More caliber options in general might be nice.  Word is that Steyr sells them in .300 BLK elsewhere, but won’t sell it here for some reason.  

I have spare pieces-parts for about anything I can imagine.  Mostly, I want to protect against foolishly losing something like a spring.  Everything was easy to get and reasonably priced.  

The SCAR is still my first choice as my do-all rifle, but the AUG misses out due only to the cartridge that won’t cover as much.  The AUG is my do-almost-all rifle, or perhaps better put: My realistic do-all rifle.