Practically Shooting

Looking for a 6.8SPC upper

Pablo

Is this worth $800???

Quote:
I have an AR-15 upper reciever chambered in 6.8 SPC that I want to sell. Along with it, are 13 PRI magazines (25rds) and some extras.

It's a flat top reciever with picatanny rail. It has been converted over to a Gas Piston System for cleaner and smoother operation. It also has a M.I. Quad picatanny rail on it for accessories.

About the Upper reciever

------------------------------------

M-4 Upper Half (A2)

E.R. Shaw M-4 barrel

- 16" Barrel

- 1-9 twist

- Chrome Lined Chamber & Barrel (black manganese phosphate chrome moly steel)

- Chambered in 6.8SPC

- Threaded muzzle and A2 Flash hider

CMMG Gas Piston Conversion (about $200)

M.I. 2 piece gas pistion drop-in (quad rail hand guard) (M.I. 17-P) (about $200)

YHM Harris Bipod mount (about $100)

YHM Flash-hider (not attached, included as an extra)

About the Magazines

13x PRI 25rd magazines (I have written 6.8spc with gray a sharpie on each them)

These magazines are about $45 each new (worth $585)

About the Misc.

1x Lulu magazine loader (also marked 6.8 witha gray sharpie)

4x 6.8 SPC "dummy" rounds

1x 6.8 brush

1x AR chamber brush

1x 6.8 bore snake

All total, this is worth about $1650 new (then throw on tax, shipping etc)

I've had this upper for about 4 years. I've put about 1400 rds through it. Its been well maintained and was professionally built. All of this is in excellent condition.

I would like to sell it all as a bundle, but feel free to make an offer on just the upper or the mags or the extas (as a group).

I'm asking $800 or Best Offer.

I am located in Downtown Bellevue, WA. I'm not willing to mail or ship. Must be a local transaction, cash only.

I would have to sit down an add it up, but at first glance, I don't think so. I'm sure he has that much in it, and you'd not be able to duplicate it for the selling price, but I'm thinking in terms of "What would my favorite gun shop give this guy in trade?". I can hear the owner saying "I'm sure it's fine, but you've got a parts gun, and not even a whole gun. It just happens to be a 6.8."

And that's how I'm seeing it. It's somebody's project. It's got OK parts, but not great ones. If he was naming off parts like a BCM upper and/or a Noveske barrel it would be different.

And as i think about it- If it was a complete .223/5.56 gun made up from the same level of parts, I'm not so sure it would bring that price.

My next concern would be the gas piston conversion. Keep in mind that I have at least some bias against all of them because I don't really think it's necessary and because the rifle was not designed that way. Sone had/have problems. I can't remember if CMMG was one of them, but it was some early piston companies and they were one. What happens was they (whichever they it was) used standard bolt carriers but replaced the gas key with a nub the rod pushed against to open the bolt. The carrier key screws would shear because they weren't meant for this stress.

I would at least look to see if the carrier has the piston rod nub integral to the carrier or if it was screwed on instead of a gas key.

I kniw what I keep thinking about- That is the Barret Rec7 the gun shop had a couple months back. I would think that Barret to be near the top of the 6.8 quality range, and the complete rifle was I think 1400 or 14xx. I would have to ask myself if the used, parts upper was worth more than half the cost of a new, complete Barret rifle.

We think alike. I'm really suspect of the gas piston conversion.

Thing is if I offered him $600 he would consider it an insult. Since I like DD so much I should look at their 6.8.

Oh and where do you get such low prices on Barret? Some of their 6.8's are $5000.

Wow, that much? Truthfully I didn't know what they went for because when the shop had that one, I checked Gunbroker and places like that, but there weren't any. I had nothing to compare.

This was in my regular gun shop. He had one of those Barret Rec 7s in late April. There is a big 1500 table gun show three or four times a year, and he got in a bunch of neat stuff like that right before the April show, and that Rec 7 came right about that time.

He usually doesn't stock Barret guns, so I guess he traded around with another dealer. There are maybe three dealers around here who he has a sort of agreement with. Those "stocking dealer" programs take a big investment, so one dealer will be a Kimber Stocking Dealer, another an HK stocking dealer, and so on, then they trade around amongst each other to "share the wealth". I'm guessing he got it that way.

He had two LMT ARs before the last show, and he never has those.

I can't remember which gas piston conversions used screwed-on lugs. I never really saw the need for the gas piston deal, so haven't followed them very close at all.

I imagine he really does think he has a fair price, and he probably does have more invested in it. I just can't see it bringing that, though.

Then again, someone might. I was watching a Gunbroker auction for a SCAR mag. It ended today at $54.03. I ordered some from the very same place this afternoon for $34 each.