Practically Shooting

Visited Midway USA last week

wwillson

While we were dropping off our son for his freshman year at the University of Missouri, I just had to drive by Midway USA for a look.

I wish they had a retail store to visit, but I didn't see anything like that. My visit was just driving around looking at the business office and warehouses/shipping buildings. I will say that everything was extremely clean and well kept. There was a 'customer order pickup' door, but I didn't go in.

I hope my son will get a job there since employees get a great discount.. :-)

I took this picture outside of the office entrance.

That's too bad there is no retail store.

I've probably asked you already, but:

Did you ever go to Wilmot WI before Gander Mtn made all the big changes and/or sold out? Three or four of us would run up there two or three times a year. After a couple of years, they built a separate big building just for handling mail orders (sorta behind the retail store). I loved driving around the parking lot to that building because they sold their closeout stuff in one end. One of the employees told us it was mostly things that got returned and it was easier to throw it on a shelf with a reduced price tag than to mess with restocking it. I bought a couple of scopes there, a lot of bases and rings, reloading dies and tools, a black powder Walker revolver replica...lots of things.

When I was in Kenosha for one of those guy's wedding a couple years ago I wanted to go, but they said it was gone. Sniff.

Midway is a complete ripoff.

I would say:

Midway often requires a close watch on the invoice when ordering.

That's not so tough when ordering online, but in the days of phone ordering I did get a surprise or two when ordering $25 worth of things and getting a $45 charge.

I order from Midway, but not always. Anytime I need something, I have three or four windows up as I put the same order into different places. Until I get to the final screen saying "confirm order" I never know who will be the cheapest. If a place has the best price on the items they still might be one of the highest when it's all totaled up. They are all similar in being different, because they all have their own way of charging for things like shipping and handling. I'd say 30% of the time Midway wins, 30% of the time Graf and Sons wins, 20% Midsourh Shooting Supplies and 20% Wideners, although Natchez has sneaked in once or twice in the last couple of years.

I used to order from Midway before I knew better. Most all my ammo online comes from PSA (Palmetto State Armory) when they have free shipping. Now that many places charge sales tax on line, thanks to Amazon (not!), I buy locally. Guns, etc - I try to buy locally, even ammo at the gun shows is cheaper. We have Rainer Arms locally for top notch AR stuff, local reloaders, etc.

I still will buy from Gun Broker if no other options and do watch the adds.