Practically Shooting

"Hatcher's Book of the Garand" Returns

"Hatcher's Book of the Garand" is my favorite Garand book, and as far as I know, I have them all. It was written right after WWII and tells the Garand story, from development to wartime service to the beginning of it's postwar use as a match rifle. Gen. Julian Hatcher was an Army ordnance officer in the first half of the 20th century, so he was present for most of it. This is what sets the book apart from other on the Garand. It is not a collectors guide telling what marking to search for on small parts. It's not a match tuning book (although there is some very dated info on that). It's not a book of war stories.

It tells how the Gafand came to be, how it was tested, problems encountered, and the fixes they came up with. What I found interesting my first time through was the history of semiauto battle rifles. I don't know how interested I was in that at first, but I became interested as it was made clear how hard it was to make a semiauto battle rifle. That part is must reading to see what a triumph the Garand rifle was.

The book goes in and out of print, and has been out of print for a while now. It is available for free download, but I like having a hard copy. Mine is ragged and full of sticky notes.

It is scheduled for re-release later this month. $25 hardcover, $18 paperback.

Mobile link. I'll put the real one up when I get home:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/193404...sc_act_title_1